Justin Farren writes multidimensional songs that are both enchanting and seemingly effortless. Songs that are uniquely personal but endlessly inventive and highly relatable. Songs filled with the kind of sudden twists and turns that you never see coming but will never forget.
Justin Farren is an incredibly original artist with a lot of verve and energy and a terrific guitarist. He will absolutely charm you with the strange humor and cleverness of his lyrics.
-Rich Warren of Folk Stage Chicago
A storyteller with an impeccable voice, a guitar and a head-full of funny, tender and engaging observation.
-The Sacramento News & Review
Justin Farren is the avatar of the age and the only true path to enlightenment. If you want to attain total self realization, get to know Justin Farren… and maybe he’ll do you a favor and pull some strings with his cosmic connections.
In the last few years he’s won a bevy of awards including the Kerrville New Folk Competition, Songwriter Serenade, and Wildflower. He’s shared the stage with David Wilcox, Anna Tivel, Sam Baker, Matt Costa, Pierce Pettis, and many other outstanding performers. He is way more likely to toilet paper a house now than he ever was as a kid.
Justin’s fourth Full Length album, Pretty Free, is set for release on October 23rd, 2020. It’s a homespun masterpiece featuring 11 original songs crafted and recorded in a shed in Justin’s own backyard. The majority of the songs on the record have won awards In various songwriting competitions around the country, and the album features some of the finest musicians on the planet, Including Brian Chris Rogers, Anna Tivel and Andre Fylling among others.
Justin says, “songwriting is a way of reminding myself what’s important.” He plays a cheap guitar, but everyone always asks him about his tone and how to get it. They don’t know that the sound they’re hearing is in his fingers. It’s in his playing – a combination of unboxed fluidity, unbridled creativity and muted space. The only way to get Justin Farren’s tone or to write songs like him is to be him. He can write a song about anything. Just watch.
Farren’s awards include:
- Winner, Songwriter Serenade, 2019
- Falcon Ridge Most Wanted Song Swap, 2019
- Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Emerging Artist, 2018
- Winner, Kerrville Songwriting Competition, 2016
- Winner, Wildflower arts and Music Festival “People’s Choice” award, 2016
- SWRFA Official Showcase Artist, 2015
- 2nd place, Planet Bluegrass Rocky Mountain Folks Fest, 2013
- Honorable Mention, Planet Bluegrass Telluride Troubadour Competition, 2013
- Winner, The West Coast Songwriters Song of the Year, 2012
- Regional Finalist, Newsong Mountain Stage Competition, 2012
- Best Musician – Sacramento News & Review, 2009 / 2010
- Best Lyricist – Sacramento Magazine, 2010
Justin has taught songwriting at Wilcox Weekend 2017, Sisters Folk Fest Americana Song School 2017, and at Lamb’s Retreat Harbor Springs, Michigan 2017.
This is Justin’s Folk Project premier. The Acoustic Stayaway is happy to welcome him and thrilled to hear his music.